Saturday, March 26, 2011

Mitten Frenzy...

Before I went  to California I started some worsted weight mittens with some bands of fair isle type stuff above the ribbing. I quickly realized that the start of the row was in the wrong place in relation to the thumb and I didn't like my color combination. So I ripped it up and made this sample piece...


















This was a handy reference for knitting my grand daughter 4 variously colored tiny mittens (so 2 can be lost and there will still be a pair). Tiny mittens are FUN! Really fast. I made the tops so that they will go on either hand.























I started a pair for myself and finished them in San Francisco and waiting for planes. Between SF and Milwaukee I lucked out and had 3 seats to myself so I could knit. In a full plane all I can manage to do is read. Feels like if I were to knit the person next to me would be jabbed by my pointy elbows. I was hoping to be bumped and given free plane tickets, but 3 seats is the next best thing...


















Tried the star toe option for the ends. Decided it has too much texture.




After I got home I kept knitting....I made these for my friend Barb for her birthday.




These are for my friend Shari in trade for some firewood.



















Have also been working on Christmas gifts for next year. Mittens are fun because they are quick and easy. Have been making pairs that are not the same which keeps it interesting. I am thinking of them as color studies.

I am also working on a little green granddaughter dress. Thin mercerized cotton and small needles. I was complaining to my Iowa daughter that I couldn't stop knitting and she said, "It's better than gambling."

1 comment: